DHA is currently accepting applications for a part-time and a full-time Veterinary
Technician. Vet Techs are responsible for providing medical care
to all shelter animals in accordance with DHA's policies and procedures,
as well as assisting with public education about humane animal care and
welfare. All employees are be expected to promote the humane care and
treatment of animals at all times.
The person hired for the part-time position
must be available Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 8 am to 4:30pm,
and one Saturday a month as part of a rotation with the other medical
staff or for DHA's Vaccination Clinics. The person hired for the full-time position will have a revolving schedule, which will include at least one Saturday per month.
We are looking people who
genuinely care about all animals and will
be committed to providing exceptional care to our shelter clients and
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Performing or assisting with initial medical assessment for animals
being considered for intake, daily medical treatments, follow-up
physicals, and pre-adoption exit examinations
- Properly dosing and administering medications and vaccines
- Administering tests to check for Heartworms and other parasites, urine pH, FeLV/FIV, Parvo, etc.
- Performing blood sampling, skin scrapings, fecal floats, UV checks for Ringworm, etc.
- Conducting nail clipping, ear cleaning, suture removal, and weight checks on all shelter animals
- Assisting the veterinarian at vaccination clinics, including
handling of clients' pets while vaccinations and microchips are
- Assisting with spay/neuter services, including admitting patients,
monitoring recovery, cleaning and preparation of surgical equipment, and
cleaning the surgery van
- Communicating effectively with partnering veterinary offices and volunteers who are providing foster care for shelter animals
- Assisting the veterinarian with euthanasia when necessary (DHA is a
no kill shelter that does not euthanize to make room for other animals)
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a minimum one year of experience as a Veterinary Technician or
similar work experience in an animal care, veterinary hospital and/or
shelter environment; certification is preferred
- Possess a genuine passion for the humane care of animals
- Have the ability to perform simple math to calculate proper dosage of medications
- Have excellent communication skills, public relations/customer service experience, and strong organizational and written skills
- Possess basic computer operations and knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel software programs
- Perform duties in a professional manner using good judgment while promoting a team environment
- Be in good physical and mental health with no animal allergies and be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Be a self-starter who is able to work well in a fast paced, changing
environment which may be stressful or emotionally charged at times
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete
the online Employment Application and email it along with your resume to
Director of Operations Debra Radcliff at email@example.com or fax them to (302) 571-0745.
We currently have employment opportunities available for part-time Animal Caretakers to work in our kennel and cattery.
Animal caretakers feed and clean our resident animals and their living areas, provide them with exercise and socialization, administer medication, and monitor the kennel and cattery to ensure a clean, healthy, and welcoming environment for the animals and shelter visitors.
Our kennel and cattery staff members also use their knowledge of the animals in our care to help potential adopters find a good match for their needs and lifestyles, provide assistance with animal visitation, and support the Customer Service and Adoption Counseling staff with animal handling as needed.
Candidates should not have a fear or dislike of cats or dogs since they will be handling both, and should be prepared for physically demanding work, including the ability to lift up to 50 pounds. We are looking for people who genuinely care about all animals and will be committed to providing exceptional care to our resident animals.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please stop by the shelter and pick up an application, or contact Layne Ross, Administrative Coordinator, at (302) 571-8171, ext. 301 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes can be sent via email or faxed to (302) 571-0745.
How to Apply
Unless otherwise specified in the job posting, please follow the instructions below to apply for a job at DHA.
Please note that you must be at least 18 years of age to apply for a job at DHA.
Complete the employment application provided below and:
- Email it to email@example.com
- Fax it to (302) 571-0745
- Mail it to Delaware Humane Association
Attn: Layne Ross
701 A Street, Wilmington, DE 19801
DHA Employment Application [PDF]
Alternately, you can pick up a printed copy at the shelter and submit it in person or by mail.
After completing your application, please submit your resume by
email, fax or mail. If you don't have a resume, please provide a letter
describing your interest and background.
If you have questions about applying, please contact Layne Ross, Administrative Coordinator, at (302) 571-8171, ext. 301 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
return to top
Delaware Humane Association is an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity)