Pets for the Elderly
DHA is able to offer a $50 adoption fee discount to senior citizens thanks to support from The Pets for the Elderly Foundation (PFE), a nonprofit organization that helps provide the gift of health and happiness to senior citizens while saving the lives of cats and dogs.
The most serious disease for older persons is not always cancer or heart disease—it can be loneliness. Pets offer affection, unconditional love, relief from loneliness,
and can help ease the loss of a loved one.
PFE helps pay the fees to participating animal
shelters throughout the United States for senior citizens who
adopt a companion dog or cat from a participating shelter. Starting in 2006, DHA became the first (and only) organization in Delaware to participate in the PFE program.
"Having a pet in my home makes me smile and feel young again. I
recommend DHA because I was treated so well, " said PFE program particpant Kathleen Elam.
Kathleen Elam and DHA alum "Nala"
What You Need to Know
- You are eligible for the Pets for the Elderly discount if you are age 60 or over.
- The cat or dog you adopt can be any age.
- There is a maximum of two pets per senior adopter in any calendar year.
- Qualifying adopters will receive a $50 discount off their pet's adoption fee.
- Shelter staff will need to take a picture of you with the animal you are adopting before you take them home.
- A PFE representative may randomly call adopters for the sole purpose of verifying current status of the adopted animal.